A rollover accident is a type of motor vehicle collision that involves a car tipping over onto its side or roof. These incidents are particularly dangerous, often causing severe injuries, extensive property damage, and fatalities.
Many factors can cause a rollover accident, from vehicle design to driver behavior and road conditions. If your car rolls over while driving in Atlanta, you may be eligible for financial compensation through an insurance claim or personal injury lawsuit. An Atlanta car accident attorney can help you evaluate your legal options following a significant accident.
Certain Cars Are More Prone to Rollovers
The design of a vehicle plays a significant role in its susceptibility to rollovers. Typically, taller, narrower vehicles like SUVs and pickups are more prone to rolling over than their smaller counterparts. This is due to their higher center of gravity, which can cause them to become unbalanced more easily than lower, wider vehicles. Additionally, the type of vehicle suspension, tire size, and even the load a vehicle carries can influence its stability.
Dangerous Road Conditions Can Lead to Rollover Accidents
Road conditions are another critical factor in rollover accidents. Slippery roads, uneven surfaces, or unexpected obstacles can cause a driver to lose control, potentially leading to a rollover. Poor road design, including inadequately marked curves, steep embankments, or insufficiently banked turns, can also increase the risk of these accidents.
A Driver’s Negligent Actions Can Cause a Car to Roll Over
Driver negligence can also lead to rollover accidents, either causing the at-fault motorist’s car or a neighboring vehicle to tip over. Dangerous actions can all lead to a loss of vehicle control and a subsequent collision, such as:
- Distracted driving
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Aggressive maneuvers such as sharp, sudden turns
Drivers need to remain attentive and responsible at the wheel, as their actions not only affect their well-being but also the well-being of others on the road. Whenever you drive, make safety a priority so that you can help minimize the risk of these devastating accidents.
What to Do If You Are Involved in a Rollover Accident
After a rollover accident, it’s normal to feel overwhelmed and uncertain about what to do next. In these situations, take the following steps to keep yourself and your passengers safe:
- Ensure Everyone’s Safety: Check for injuries and move everyone to a safe location if possible. Avoid moving anyone who appears seriously injured unless there is an immediate danger.
- Report the Accident: Call 911 as soon as possible. Police and emergency services can provide necessary assistance and create an official accident report, which you can use in the future.
- Go to the Hospital: Get a medical examination as soon as possible, even if you do not feel hurt. This step can help treat internal injuries that may not show any symptoms and also create a record of any physical damage that you sustained.
- Contact an Atlanta Car Accident Attorney: An attorney can help you pursue an insurance claim or lawsuit against the person who caused your accident, ensuring that your rights are protected.
An Atlanta car accident lawyer can provide you with the guidance and support that you need during a challenging time. As soon as possible after your rollover accident, schedule a free legal consultation and learn how an attorney can help you seek justice.