Scott Monge, a car accident attorney with more than three decades of winning results across the United States, graciously answered some of our writer’s questions about motor vehicle lawsuits. Monge applies the lessons he learned when writing The Five Biggest Mistakes People Make After an Accident to fight for the best possible results for collision victims in Atlanta and across the country. We hope that this Q & A session helps answer some of your pressing questions if you or a loved one have been involved in a car crash.
Question 1: What’s the first thing someone should do after they’ve been in an accident?
- Ensure Safety: The first priority is safety. Move to a safe location if possible and check for injuries.
- Call for Help: Dial emergency services (911 in the U.S.).
- Exchange Information: Exchange contact and insurance information with the other party involved.
- Document the Scene: Take photos of the accident scene, vehicle damage, and any relevant details.
Question 2: Do you have any advice that would help someone choose the right car accident attorney after a crash?
- Experience: Look for attorneys with experience in personal injury and accident cases.
- Reputation: Check reviews, testimonials, and the attorney’s reputation in handling similar cases.
- Communication: Choose an attorney who communicates well and keeps you informed about your case.
- Fee Structure: Understand an attorney’s fee structure and payment terms.
Question 3: How does the process of a car accident lawsuit typically play out?
- Consultation: Meet with an attorney to discuss the case and potential legal options.
- Filing a Complaint: The attorney may file a lawsuit if a settlement cannot be reached.
- Discovery: Both parties exchange information and gather evidence.
- Negotiation: Settlement negotiations may take place to resolve the case without going to trial.
- Trial: If a settlement is not reached, the case goes to trial, and a judge or jury makes a decision.
Question 4: What challenges might people expect to encounter during the process of a car accident lawsuit?
- Evidence: Gathering and presenting convincing evidence can be challenging.
- Legal Procedures: Navigating complex legal procedures and deadlines can be daunting.
- Insurance Companies: Dealing with insurance companies and their tactics may pose challenges.
- Emotional Stress: Lawsuits can be emotionally taxing for those involved.
Question 5: Is there anything you think everyone should know that will help keep them safe on the road?
- Follow Traffic Laws: Obey speed limits, signals, and other traffic rules.
- Avoid Distractions: Stay focused on the road and avoid distractions like texting.
- Regular Maintenance: Ensure your vehicle is well-maintained for optimal safety.
- Use Seatbelts: Always wear seatbelts, and ensure passengers do the same.
- Defensive Driving: Be aware of your surroundings and anticipate potential hazards.
If you’ve been involved in a crash caused by another person or party’s negligence, we invite you to contact the Atlanta car accident lawyers at Monge & Associates. Your initial consultation with an experienced lawyer comes at no cost and we are prepared to discuss your legal options in detail. Our attorneys are committed to winning big on your behalf!