Thousands of people are injured yearly on restaurant premises in Seattle. However, most of these individuals fail to know what to do when an injury occurs or who is to blame. If you’re one of these individuals, keep reading below. We’ll explain how to tell if a Seattle restaurant is liable:
What is Liability?
Generally speaking, liability means being responsible for something. Suppose we take accident liability as an example. If an accident occurs because of a lack of care or negligence, this person or business becomes liable. When a claim is made, they will be responsible for paying compensation.
In some cases, liability is clear. However, in other cases, it is much harder to prove. This is often the case with Seattle personal injury claims.
What Types of Accidents Can Occur on Restaurant Premises?
Many restaurants in Seattle fail to maintain a safe environment for their customers. This can lead to accidents and injuries occurring. Here are some of the most common types of accidents that took place in Seattle restaurants in 2022:
- Slips, trips, and falls – this is the most common way to be injured in a Seattle restaurant. It accounts for over 70% of accidents in restaurants. This type of accident can occur for many reasons. For example, it can result from spills, snow-covered sidewalks, or uneven flooring.
- Scalding – another common cause of injury in Seattle restaurants is scalding. Many restaurants fail to warn their customers that the plates or cups they are holding are hot.
- Choking – while not all choking accidents are the restaurant’s fault, if the restaurants in Seattle incorrectly prepare the food or leave foreign objects in the food, they may be liable for compensation.
- Cuts and puncture wounds – thousands of customers are injured each year in Seattle restaurants due to splintered wood, exposed screws, broken glass, and other sharp objects.
Is a Seattle Restaurant Liable if You Sustain an Injury on the Premises?
When you visit a restaurant in Seattle, you don’t usually expect your trip to result in an injury. Unfortunately, accidents do happen, and people do suffer injuries. All restaurants in Seattle are legally obligated to provide a safe environment free of any dangers for their customers. This includes responsibility for events or circumstances that might foreseeably harm customers and for the negligent actions of restaurant employees.
When a restaurant in Seattle fails to do everything possible to keep its customers safe, the injured customer has the right to seek compensation from the restaurant. This means that they are liable for the customer’s damages. Damages from an injury on a restaurant property include:
- Medical bills
- Lost wages
- Pain and suffering
- Out-of-pocket expenses
What to Do if You Sustain an Injury in a Restaurant in Seattle
As mentioned above, there are several ways you can be injured in a Seattle restaurant due to negligence, and if this is the case, you can look into taking the matter further and seek compensation.
If you want to do this, follow the advice below. We’ll tell you what to do if you sustain an injury in a restaurant in Seattle:
- Seek medical attention if necessary – if your injury is severe, it’s essential to seek medical attention immediately. Make sure you keep copies of your medical documents. You may need these if you decide to sue.
- Collect evidence – collecting evidence is probably the last thing on your mind, but it can help you with a liability case. Talk to witnesses and ask for their contact details, ask for CCTV footage of the accident, take photos, etc.
- Speak to the restaurant manager – informing the restaurant manager of the accident is essential. They will need to record the accident in their accident book.
- Contact an accident attorney – many people avoid contacting accident attorneys as they worry about the cost. However, if you’re injured on restaurant premises in Seattle, contacting an attorney is essential. Our accident attorneys at Monge & Associates can help you win your case and get the compensation you deserve. Proving Your Claim
It can be tough to prove a negligence claim, as several elements must be present. These include breach of duty, duty of care, causation, and damages. In regard to an injury sustained in a restaurant, the evidence must clearly show that the accident was foreseeable, negligence was involved, and there were significant damages.
Thousands of accidents occur on restaurant premises in Seattle each year, and while most of them are not severe, hundreds of them are. Thankfully, if you follow the advice above, you should have all the evidence you need to prove a Seattle restaurant’s liability. However, even if you don’t, it’s a good idea to contact an accident attorney to discuss your claim.
If you’ve been injured on restaurant premises in Seattle, contact our team of lawyers at Monge & Associates. You can call now for a free consultation on 800-421-0174.
No matter where in America you live, we will be able to help you. We have offices in 30 locations across 18 states, including Seattle, Washington, and Chicago, Illinois.