When you head out to do some shopping, the last thing on your mind is getting injured. However, a slip and fall accident can happen unexpectedly, causing serious injuries and disrupting your life. At Monge & Associates, we understand the physical, emotional, and financial toll that a slip and fall accident can take. Our experienced slip and fall attorneys in Cincinnati, Ohio, are dedicated to helping you recover the maximum compensation for your losses, pain, and suffering.
We believe that you should not bear the burden of someone else’s negligence, and we are here to fight for your rights. Reach out to us today for a free consultation.
Cincinnati Slip and Fall Quick Resources
- Common Causes of Slips and Falls
- Proving a Slip and Fall Case
- Winning Slip and Fall Cases
- What to do After a Slip and Fall Accident
- How a Slip and Fall Attorney Can Help
- Contact a Slip and Fall Lawyer Today
What Commonly Leads To Slips, Trips, or Falls?
Slips, trips, and falls can happen for a variety of reasons. Some common factors that commonly lead to these personal injury accidents include:
- Carpeting or rug issues: Loose or damaged carpeting and rugs can create tripping hazards.
- Misplaced items: Stumbles can occur when items aren’t put in their proper places. Objects left in walkways can cause individuals to trip and fall.
- Lack of lighting: Insufficient lighting can make it difficult to see potential hazards.
- Poor management: Negligent maintenance and upkeep of premises can contribute to accidents.
- Snow and ice: Winter weather conditions can create slippery surfaces.
- Spills: Liquids, oils, or other substances can lead to slips and falls when spilled on floors
- Wet flooring: Failure to address wet floors promptly can increase the risk of accidents.
Understanding these common causes can help you build a strong case for your slip and fall accident claim. Contact our Cincinnati personal injury lawyers if you’ve been injured, we are here to help.
Proving Liability for a Slip and Fall Accident
To have a claim against a property owner (or renter, in some cases) for your slip and fall, you must show that they are somehow at fault for your fall. In other words, you must show that the action or inaction of the property owner somehow was negligent and caused you to fall. You cannot sue someone else for your own carelessness.
When presenting a slip and fall case to a jury, the jury has to decide what percentage of the plaintiff is at fault and what percentage of the property owner is at fault. Often, a jury is likely to find that the property owner is half to blame and the injured person is half to blame; and in many states like Ohio with comparative fault systems, 50% fault on the part of the plaintiff means that the plaintiff gets nothing. According to NSFI, 87% of fractures among people over 65 lead to spinal cord injuries and brain injury symptoms. If you or a loved one is experiencing any symptoms after a fall please contact our Cincinnati spinal cord injury lawyer today.
When Are Slip and Fall Cases More Likely to Win?
Falls caused by clear construction defects often have the best chance of winning. However, liability for falls on slippery surfaces, such as on ice or spills, can vary. For example, during a snowstorm it might not be negligent for a shop owner to be unable to keep up with clearing the snow; but many hours after the snow has stopped, there is more of a chance that the shop owner will be found negligent.
Also, private property owners may have less of a duty to clear snow or other slippery surfaces than shop owners. Spills in stores that cause a fall may only be good cases if the spill has been there a while, and when you can prove that it has been there a while. In other words, a property owner or shop owner must have known about or had a reasonable amount of time to discover a spill before they can be held liable for not cleaning it up.
What To Do If You Are Injured in a Slip and Fall Accident
- Seek medical attention: If your injuries are serious, call an ambulance. For less serious injuries, see your doctor as soon as possible, especially if you hit your head.
- Notify the property owner or tenant: If you are in a commercial building, request to see the owner or manager on duty and obtain contact information
- Identify witnesses: Obtain contact information for all witnesses
- Take pictures of the scene: Use your phone to photograph the floor, surroundings, and any objects that caused your fall
- Preserve your clothing: Place the clothes and shoes you were wearing at the time of the accident in a bag as evidence
- Consult with an attorney: Consult an attorney before giving insurance adjusters (or other parties representing the property owner) a written or recorded statement before consulting with a qualified attorney
How a Cincinnati Slip and Fall Accident Lawyer Can Help You
Having a qualified slip and fall accident lawyer by your side can make a significant difference in the outcome of your case. At Monge & Associates, our dedicated Cincinnati slip and fall lawyers have the knowledge, experience, and resources to handle all aspects of your claim.
We can help you in the following ways:
- Gathering evidence to support your claim, such as surveillance footage and witness testimonies.
- Establishing liability by identifying the responsible party, whether it’s a property owner, manager, or another party.
- Ensuring your case is not dismissed over a technicality by handling all legal procedures.
- Negotiating with large corporations and insurance companies on your behalf to protect your interests.
- Pursuing compensation for your legal fees, lost earnings, medical costs, pain and suffering, diminished quality of life, and incidental expenses.
- Preparing a strong case for litigation if a fair settlement cannot be reached.
- Advocating for your rights and fighting for the maximum compensation for your injuries, medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
- Getting you more money in less time through effective negotiation strategies.
Contact a Cincinnati Slip and Fall Attorney at Monge & Associates
If you or a loved one was injured in a slip and fall accident in Cincinnati, don’t hesitate to reach out to Monge & Associates for a free case evaluation. Our experienced Cincinnati slip and fall accident attorneys are here to guide you through the claims process and fight for the justice and compensation you deserve.
Call us toll-free at (888) 307-5581, or get in touch with us online. The sooner you get us involved, the more we can help. We handle slip and fall accident cases on a contingency fee basis. This means you pay us no fee unless we recover compensation for you.