The spinal cord is a crucial component of the human body. It carries vital messages between the brain and the rest of the body, enabling movement, sensation, and essential bodily functions. When this critical pathway is damaged due to an injury, the effects can be catastrophic, often resulting in paralysis, loss of sensation, and a myriad of other life-altering conditions.
Monge & Associates supports individuals and families affected by spinal cord injuries in Charleston. If someone else is responsible for your condition, our Charleston spinal cord injury lawyers will fight for you, aiming to secure compensation for medical treatment, rehabilitation, and the support required to adapt to life after an injury. Schedule a free consultation with our firm today and learn how we can provide the support and guidance you deserve.
Why Trust Monge & Associates with Your Case?
- Since 1993, our firm has fought tenaciously for the rights of spinal cord injury victims. We’ve taken on big insurance companies and large corporations to recover billions of dollars for our clients.
- We know the emotional and physical toll that a spinal cord injury can have on your life. Our personal injury attorneys in Charleston, SC will handle your case from start to finish, allowing you to focus on your healing and recovery.
- After an unexpected accident, money can be tight. That’s why we accept spinal cord injury cases on a no win, no fee basis; if we do not recover a settlement, you will not pay any legal fees.
Charleston Spinal Cord Injury Resources
To immediately access the resources at any point on this page, click the corresponding links below.
Common Causes of Spinal Cord Injuries in South Carolina
Spinal cord injuries are among the most severe and life-altering traumas that a person can experience. These injuries often occur due to a variety of incidents, from accidents caused by negligence to acts of violence. If someone else is responsible for your spinal cord damage, you have the right to pursue legal action via an insurance claim or personal injury lawsuit.
Some of the most common causes of spinal cord injuries include:
- Vehicle Accidents: Road accidents are one of the leading causes of spinal cord injuries, whether they involve passenger cars, motorcycles, commercial trucks, pedestrians, or cyclists. The force of a collision can cause significant damage to the spine, leading to partial or complete paralysis. A Charleston car accident attorney can help you assess your options after a collision.
- Falls: Falls from heights, such as from ladders, roofs, or within construction sites, commonly result in spinal cord injuries. These incidents are particularly prevalent among older adults and construction workers.
- Sports Injuries: Contact sports, like football or rugby, and activities such as diving into shallow water can lead to spinal cord damage if not properly supervised or executed, or if players lack proper protective gear.
- Violence: Gunshot wounds and stabbings are also significant causes of spinal cord injuries. These traumatic events can sever or severely damage the spinal cord.
- Workplace Accidents: In industries that involve heavy lifting or operating machinery, workers are at a higher risk of sustaining spinal cord injuries due to accidents or unsafe working conditions.
The Short- and Long-Term Effects of Spinal Cord Damage
The impact of a spinal cord injury extends far beyond the immediate physical damage. In the short term, victims may experience intense pain, loss of mobility, and the need for extensive medical treatment, including surgeries and rehabilitation. Sudden changes to a person’s lifestyle and independence can also take an emotional toll.
In the long term, spinal cord injuries can lead to chronic pain, permanent disability, and the need for lifelong care and assistance. The financial burden of ongoing medical care, loss of income, and modifications to living spaces can be overwhelming for the injured and their families.
Emotionally, coping with the loss of physical abilities and adjusting to a new way of life requires significant psychological resilience and support. Due to this extensive impact, victims need both medical and legal assistance to navigate the challenges that lie ahead.
Monge & Associates Can Help You Seek Justice
Filing a claim after sustaining a spinal cord injury can be an overwhelming process, especially when you’re focused on recovery and adapting to a new way of life. The complexities of legal proceedings, coupled with the tactics often used by insurance companies to minimize payouts, can make navigating the claims process particularly challenging. This is where Monge & Associates steps in.
Our firm is dedicated to guiding spinal cord injury victims through the legal process, handling every aspect of their lawsuit. We can help you build a robust case for your right to compensation, supporting you every step of the way:
- Personalized Legal Strategy: Our attorneys will take the time to understand the nuances of your case, making sure that the strategy we develop is personalized and effective.
- Negotiation Expertise: With a wealth of experience in negotiating with insurance companies, we aim to secure a settlement that fully compensates for your losses. We will not accept offers lower than what you deserve.
- Trial Representation: If your case goes to court, Monge & Associates will provide robust representation. Our award-winning trial attorneys are prepared to fight to protect your rights and interests.
- Guidance on Medical Documentation: Proper documentation of your injury is crucial. We guide you on how to collect and present medical evidence that supports the severity of your spinal cord injury.
How Long Do You Have to File a Spinal Cord Injury Claim?
In South Carolina, people who have suffered a spinal cord injury have three years from the date of the accident to file a claim. This legal timeframe, known as the statute of limitations, helps ensure that evidence is preserved, and lawsuits are filed in a timely manner. However, if you file after this deadline expires, the court will dismiss your case.
Protect your right to compensation by speaking with a Charleston spinal cord injury lawyer as soon as possible after your accident. Your attorney will help you take your first steps to justice, filing your claim ahead of the appropriate deadline.
Contact a Charleston Spinal Cord Injury Lawyer Today
Dealing with a spinal cord injury can be a life-altering experience, requiring significant adjustments and ongoing medical care. At Monge & Associates, our goal is to recover the full compensation you need to support your recovery and accommodate any changes to your lifestyle.
Don’t navigate this difficult time alone. Contact our spinal cord injury lawyers at (843) 920-6359 or toll-free at (888) 890-4058 and learn how we can help you recover the compensation that you deserve.