7 Budget-Friendly Vacation Spots
Being on a budget doesn’t mean you can’t also have fun. The trick is to be smart about your spending. Sure, set aside some dough for your savings account/rainy day fund, but set off for some adventure this summer by visiting a budget-friendly vacation destination.
- Palm Springs, CA. With air fare prices declining, this desert getaway for the stars is now a destination for travelers on a budget. To boost its tourism, the city has added tons of hotel and restaurant options that offer great deals.
- Nashville, TN. The capital of country music has so much culture, food and adventure to experience. The city is becoming a new culinary destination. It’s not all about the barbecue anymore (though that’s still a draw and in abundance). Gourmet restaurants are popping up all over the city.
- Outer Banks, NC. The islands of the Outer Banks stretch more than 150 miles, offering fantastic beaches, lighthouses, wildlife and fishing. Plenty of inexpensive hotels stretch along the shorelines. Huge sand dunes, the Wright Brothers National Memorial and America’s tallest brick lighthouse offer plenty of history and fun on this beach destination.
- Savannah, GA. Take in all of the history downtown Savannah has to offer. Peruse the city’s cemeteries (there’s bound to be some recognizable names on headstones), River Street and architecture to get a taste of the real Savannah. Once you’ve taken in all of the historic sites and ghost tours, head to Tybee Island for a day of fun in the sun.
- San Antonio, TX. Visit the Alamo and River Walk to breathe in the heart of the city. There’s tons of culture and historic sites to pique anyone’s interest. Check out neighborhoods just outside the heart of the city for good deals on hotels and restaurants.
- Cannon Beach, OR. Head to the West Coast for this beach destination about 90 minutes outside of Portland. Nearby state parks offer inexpensive but interesting site seeing. Visit Haystack Rock, which towers above the ocean just offshore and take in Oregon’s beautiful sandstone bluffs, spruce trees and redwoods.